The island’s Government building, from the 13th century to the 18th.
The creation of the Universitat as the form of local government was granted by King James II of Majorca. It was already functioning as an established and permanent body in 1299, made up of three jurors appointed by the representatives of the conquerors. These jurors, in turn, elected 10 councillors. The seat of government was a rectangular building near the church with a painted Mudejar-style coffered ceiling. The polychrome coats of arms of Eivissa and the Crown of Aragon particularly stand out among the painted decorations on the ceiling.
The building was constructed alongside the Moorish city walls. It was probably built at the same time or a short time after the gothic apse of the Cathedral was constructed. A large gothic window has been preserved in the eastern facade, which may have been built at the same time as the rest of the building or perhaps a short time afterwards, during renovations carried out at the end of the 15th century, which are mentioned in the accounts book of the Universitat.
The Universitat Hall was extended at the beginning of the 18th century by joining it to The Saviour’s Chapel. Later a connecting door was opened in the interior of the building. The year 1708 engraved in the lintel of the door linking the two areas is a testimony of this.
The Universitat remained in this building until 1728, the year that the institution dissolved and gave way to the City Council, created as a result of the Royal Comprehensive Alteration Decree.
The building continued to be used as the City Hall until 1838, when it moved location to the Dominican Monastery. The Universitat Hall and The Saviour’s Chapel are part of the premises of the Archaeological Museum of Eivissa. Recently during renovation carried out on the building, the underground was excavated, in which the outside part of the Moorish wall and other adjoining architectural structures were found.
It is currently closed for works.