Constructed by the Brotherhood of Sailors, it today forms part of the Archaeological Museum
The Saviour’s Chapel, which was built by the brotherhood of sailors, was dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Lord. The first mention of this chapel appears in documents from 1364. Since then, it has been mentioned on diverse occasions, particularly with regard to the ecclesiastic visits carried out from the 14th tll the 18th century.
It is a small gothic style building that was possibly built during the first half of the 14th century. It has a single nave covered in a three-part gothic cross vault. On the west façade it has a rose window that gives on to the Mirador. The door, which is today the entrance to the Archaeological Museum, was found in front of the cemetery which, until the 17th century, occupied what is now the Cathedral Square.
In 1702, the chapel was sold to the Universitat (the regional autonomous government at the time) for 2,500 pounds. The image of the saint was moved by the brotherhoods to the church in the port, which was extended and improved using the money from the sale.
In 1907, the building was restored and the Archaeological Museum was installed in it. During the work, a crypt was found in the underground of the chapel, from which numerous human remains and religious figures were extracted, including two multicoloured wooden carvings of Christ Crucified and an image of Saint Lucy in stone. Other notable objects included a codex, parchments and manuscript from the 15th and 16th centuries, mentioned in the “Guía de Ibiza”, published in 1917 by Arturo Pérez Cabrero.
It is not currently possible to visit it due to the Archaeological Museum’s renovation works.