The old Dominican convent is today the town hall
The former Dominican monastery has been the home of the Eivissa City Council since 1838.
This monastery was one of the last ones founded by the Dominican monks in the Balearic Islands during the 16th century. The monastery was first located in the village of Jesús, in the premises of the parish church until it was relocated to within the city walls in 1587. The following year, the premises bought by the Universitat (the regional autonomous government at the time) were handed over in a formal ceremony for the construction of the monastery, which lasted throughout the 17th century. By 1674, the cloisters were still not finished and the monks did not have comfortable rooms.
The community of monks was dissolved in 1835, the building passed into state property and became the site for the City Hall, prison and other services.
Having undergone various necessary alterations due to usage requirements, today’s building preserves only one of the monastery’s cloisters and the former refectory, which was previously used for the plenary meetings of the Council. This room has a barrel vault decorated with painted murals and is today the temporary home of the Eivissa Contemporary Art Museum.
Next to the convent, on the cliff, in the Plaça d’Espanya, there is one of the most spectacular lookouts in the city. It offers a broad panoramic view of the port and the lighthouse in Es Botafoc. In the middle of the lookout, in front of the external entrance to the Chapter House, there is a monument of Guillem de Montgrí, Archbishop of Tarragona, who launched the conquest of Ibiza. Every 8 August this feat is celebrated and the authorities make a floral tribute to the sculpture.